Saturday, 6 July 2013

RAISING BILINGUAL CHILDREN: Get kids talking game



The Alien game (or the 'get kids talking' game)

The idea is to pick a word your kid knows very well, like 'the sun' or 'a tiger'. Then you pretend to be an alien, just arrived on planet earth, and they need to describe what that word actually means. 

I had my two in fits of giggles by pretending to misunderstand their explanations. For example, when Pan-Pan was describing 'the sun', he might say, 'It's big', then I'd say, 'oh, so it's a house?'
'Nooooo, it's yellow!' 
'Hmmm, big, yellow, must be a lion!' 
'Nooooo, it's really hot, it's made of gas!' 
'Ah, now I understand, it's a star...' and so on. 

They really have to think hard to find vocabulary to describe their word, and they have a lot of fun at the same time.

I use it to practise their French, but it's great for majority language too, so we play it in English with Daddy :-)


For more ideas on how to get kids talking, see my post 5 ways to get your kids talking (a minority language)
Pin It now!

3 comments:

  1. I love it - can see this working in the classroom too! Thanks for the inspiration Tallulah! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Alien game is really good one. I too will try this..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just great ! Thanks for sharing, I love it, I love it so much that the greedy gnome in me wants more !

    ReplyDelete

Please comment, as I love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...